Friday, April 26, 2013

VegFest 2013!


On Sunday, I headed to VegFest!  If you haven't been, VegFest is an annual plant-based extravaganza!  It features speakers, food samples, non-profit organizations, famous vegans and auh-mazing food (vegan ice cream sandwiches for the win).

I started the day off by volunteering for the Animals and Society Institute.

I then went to a speech by ultramarathoner Scott Jurek.  I can barely get through a 10K, and this guy does 100+ milers?  Holy How-the-hell-are-his-knees-not-blow-out (oh, yeah, because he's a super healthy vegan), Batman!

After Scott spoke, I went to a presentation called "Compassion and Comedy" by stand-up comic Carol Leifer.  I was so inspired by her speech.  She gave a charming and heart-warming account of her transition to veganism, filled with many punchlines and cute stories.

Despite Carol and Scott looking like indistinguishable blobs, I promise that really is them.

Drew and I then met up with my mom

and these nachos (which were nothing short of heavenly) happened:

As with previous VegFests, the day was absolutely excellent!  It's so wonderful to see thousands of people (quite literally) interested in a diet that not only promotes health, but helps stop animal cruelty.  I saw many familiar faces, and as I mentioned before, the food was incredible.  I definitely left with a happy heart and full belly. 


No comments:

Post a Comment