Sunday, January 10, 2016

Grits and tips

On Wednesday, I got up bright and early to drive 13 hours to Florence, South Carolina. People will occasionally ask me how I can do such a long drive and then perform at night without being exhausted. My answer: the promise of getting out of Michigan's 10 degree weather is pretty good motivation.

After last week's debacle, this drive was completely painless and uneventful!

I didn't get any pictures of my show at the Southern Hops Brewing Company, but it was a good time. I even met an audience member who had been to Peru a couple months ago, and we traveled the exact same itinerary! So, we chatted about tuk-tuks and "the road of death" quite a bit.

On Thursday, I made my way over to Myrtle Beach for the weekend. 

You know you're in the South when this is the continental breakfast.

But first, I stopped by the Conway public library to get some homework done. 

Not a bad view for brief-writing.
I always have a blast when I work the Carolina Comedy Club! The staff is so much fun; although much to my disappointment, I had too much homework to go out with them after the shows like I usually do. 

The weather was rainy and in the 50s, but that did not stop me from wearing flip-flops the entire week. As you can imagine, I was stared at quite a bit by the locals.

This shows were fun, and I had a really good time working and hanging out with Todd Johnson (along with all the other comics who swung by).
This weekend also marked a first for me. Right as I was finishing up my set at the Saturday late show, a guy, who wasn't an audience member, walked into the club, asked for directions to a restaurant, then proceeded to walk on stage during my set and give me $20. It was the easiest and weirdest money I've ever made in my life.

The drive home was long, but I busied myself by binge-watching Making a Murderer, calling everyone I know who has seen it, and picking my jaw up off the floor. It was so shocking and outrageous. But watching the lawyers from the Innocence Project (and being inspired by their work) was good motivation to start my classes again on Monday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment