Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Day 2 in Iceland

Our second day in Iceland started with a trip to the cutest little coffee shop in Hvammstangi (say the name of that town three times fast). It was drizzling outside, which made the hot beverages even more perfect.


After getting warm and cozy for a bit, we decided to head up to Hvitserkur. It was here that I learned why having four-wheel drive (which, of course, we didn't have) is so crucial. The roads quickly turned to dirt, then to rock, then to mud. It was quite the adventure! But, I absolutely loved looking at the landscape. My iPhone pictures can't really do it justice, but here's a few attempts:


Once we arrived in Hvitserkur, we set out to look at one of the landmarks. I'm not sure what to call it other than "giant rock," so I suppose I'll go with that. Keith and I weren't quite brave enough to scale the terrain in order to get really close to it (rain + slippery rocks + me being clumsy = not a good combination), but we did snap these shots (which were definitely worth the walk in the rain).



The giant rock truly was beautiful. So beautiful, in fact, that we attempted to persuade the locals to go see it.



After checking out the giant rock, we continued to make our way to Akureyi, but saw some sites along the way:
It was somewhere along our drive to Akureyi that we fell in love with Iceland's N-1 gas stations. Not only do they have free wi-fi (important for my ever-so-crucial tweets. I mean, really, how does anyone live without those?), but they also have salad bars and beer. What more could one want in a gas station? Did I mention they also have these little tokens of class? I bought 13.

We finally made it to Akureyi in the evening, where I promptly made myself one of my favorite snacks:

Since it's an island and much has to be imported, Iceland is mega-expensive, especially going out to dinner. Thankfully, most of the places where we stayed had kitchens. So, we often made food, which gave us an opportunity to get to chat with other tourists (and, as I frequently did, casually stare at what they were eating to get meal ideas). In Akureyi, we talked to several Italian guys. They were headed counterclockwise on the Ring Road, so they offered us many recommendations for what to see in the coming days. Given that Akureyi is one of Iceland's most populated cities (with a whopping 17,000 people), I think we might start tomorrow by checking out the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment