Thursday, June 9, 2011

Lobbying in Lansing

On Tuesday, I traveled to the capitol of Michigan (it's Lansing for all of you who didn't pay attention in fifth grade) to lobby for some animal protection bills. The Humane Society of the United States sponsors this annual event (Humane Lobby Day), and not only is it a good time to chat with legislators about animal issues, but it's also a nice opportunity to catch up with and meet fellow Michigan activists.

There's something about being in the capitol building that makes me excited. It's like I can feel change all around me. And I feel empowered and like I can make an impact when I'm surrounded by the folks who actually make the laws.

Plus, it's always great to be at an event that has bagels and Tofutti cream cheese for breakfast (not to mention vegan soy creamer for coffee).





We lobbied for Grant's Bills (SB 423 and SB 424), which is a package of two bills to end the use of gas chamber euthanasia by Michigan shelters and by Michigan Class B dealers, and Koda’s Bill, which would end pound seizure by Class B dealers in Michigan.

If you're unfamiliar with Class B dealers, I recommend watching Dealing Dogs or visiting this page for more information. What Class B dealers do to animals is particularly egregious and truly gruesome!

If you live in Michigan, and you'd like to monitor humane legislation, here are some helpful links:

The Michigan Legislature

The Michigan House of Representatives

The Michigan Senate


You can also get involved with HSUS Michigan on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment