Sunday, November 27, 2011

My first 5K and Thanksgiving!

This year, my Thanksgiving week was quite eventful! I started the holiday by completing my first ever 5K (the Stuffing Strut in downtown Detroit). I never fancied myself a runner. Heck, I never fancied myself much of an exerciser at all, really. But, for some reason, I got this crazy idea in my head around early summer that I should compete in a race. So, I started, slowly but surely, working on the Couch to 5K program, which I highly recommend. When I first started, I got winded by running for more than 45 seconds (not even kidding about that one, folks). And now, I can actually run a 5K without walking (or hyperventilating too much).

There's the finish line:


The race weather couldn't have been better (mid-50's), and since the race course was the same as the Thanksgiving parade route, there were people everywhere cheering the runners on (all 20,000 of us). I absolutely loved the energy! I was a bit concerned about how I would feel as I only slept for four hours the night before, but hearing the cheers, seeing all of the people in costume and running through downtown Detroit gave me such a surge and I was actually excited to be jogging.

In the evening, I went to my mother's house, where we made a vegan feast! On the menu this year: vegan meatloaf, stuffing (my grandma's old recipe, which I veganized), green bean casserole, apple/walnut salad, mashed potatoes, rolls and pumpkin pie.





After eating, I went into a bit of a food coma. Not before snapping some shots of my family though.







During the weekend, I performed at Leo's Komedy Korner in Windsor, Ontario. Leo's has always been one of my favorite clubs. The crowds are smart, and the staff are out-of-this-world nice. I performed with Leo DuFour and Tim Rowlands, and we had two great shows. I even had some friends of mine join me at the show, and of course, I made a stop to Tim Horton's. The best part though? I made it through the border with absolutely no hassle. So yay to not getting strip-searched!

1 comment:

  1. They should've taken a census of Detroit DURING the race...that might help them out.

    Congratulations on the 5K and not having to disrobe for the border guards.

    ReplyDelete