Monday, November 11, 2013

First 5K in a while


As part of my marathon training, I ran a 5K this weekend. My training program is 29 weeks long, and it starts off very slowly.  Thank everything holy.  If it started with running ten miles three times per week, I think I might want to die.

I ran the Ann Arbor Turkey Trot, which actually took place at Hudson Mills Metropark in Dexter, Michigan (my hometown - yay!).  I have many fond memories of rollerblading at Hudson Mills.  And I think I even had a girl scout meeting there once.

Hudson Mills is incredibly scenic, and I had planned to take pictures of all of the fall colors.  Sadly, my iPhone died around mile 1.  So that meant no photos, and even worse, no music.

This marked the first time I've ever run without music.  And let me tell you, the sound of your own hyperventilation ain't pretty.  I just feel bad for the other runners who had to deal with my phlegmy-about-to-pass-out sounds. 

Considering I've been really sleep-deprived and not running nearly as much as I'd like, I still felt pretty good. My only goal was to run the whole time, and I accomplished that.  And I also got to see a lot of beautiful sites.

 Front and back of my shirt.  C'mon I couldn't run a turkey trot without preaching the good word.





The first mile marker (AKA where my phone's iPhone's battery met its tragic end).




At night, I had the pleasure of working with the very funny (and nice, too!) Sal Demilio and Kent Tucker.  We had a really good time at Dooley's in Mt. Clemens, Michigan, and the audience (which was stacked with MMA fighters and their wives) was super fun.  Luckily, nobody put me in an armbar after they heard my joke making fun of the UFC.


No comments:

Post a Comment