Thursday, December 24, 2015

Back home

We headed home today, and I feel like I could stay so, so much longer. I loved spending time with my family, and I absolutely fell in love with Glasgow. From what I could tell, especially because it lost so much population (at one point, it was at 1.5 million, whereas now it sits at around 600,000), there's a hardiness to people. There seems to be a solidarity among them to pull through hard times.

Like I've said in previous posts, Glaswegians were just so friendly. And so very funny. It was truly a pleasure to speak to them.

One more shot of a kilt before heading out. But of course.


The flight from Glasgow to London was short and turbulence-free, so no complaints there. Sadly, we had a seven hour lay-over in London. So, just long enough to be incredibly boring, and just short enough to not be able to go into the city proper. We busied ourselves by going to Wagamama (a chain noodle bar I first discovered when I studied abroad in London in 2000) and people-watching.

The flight from London to Toronto seemed to take forever. We had a tailwind working against us, and for some reason, flights home always seem to go by slowly. I sat next to a guy from Austria who had traveled extensively, and we chatted about our travels and various road trips. In one of his visits to small town, Arizona, he was refused a drink since the bartender had never heard of Austria, wouldn't recognize it as a country, and thus thought his passport was fake. Oy.

I also passed the time by watching Love and Mercy, which was fantastic.

By the time we got to Toronto, went through customs, and collected our bags, we were pretty exhausted. Luckily, we were able to get right to bed and recover from our long travel day had a five hour drive home ahead of us.

I don't know that my mom and I have ever been that punchy before. We couldn't stop giggling and busied ourselves by playing the longest game of "Would you rather?" that I have ever played. Long road trips don't bother me, and driving 12 hours to a gig seems like nothing, but for some reason, that drive home from Toronto was brutal.

It was all worth it though. The trip was amazing and not one I'll soon forget.

And now, let the holiday festivities commence!

No comments:

Post a Comment