Monday, December 21, 2015

Last day in Edinburgh

Our last day in Edinburgh consisted of going to the Scottish National Gallery, walking around, and eating more vegan haggis. The last part is shocking, I know.

The weather was rather dreary (as evidenced here), so we quickly scurried to the gallery to get inside and get warm.


Speaking of weather, it was unseasonably warm while we were there (here's a sample of one of the newspaper stories).


And, it wasn't terribly rainy throughout the trip either. As one of our cab drivers remarked, "there's two seasons in Scotland: rain and lots of rain." So, we figured when Edinburgh got rainy and cold, it was to be expected.

The Scottish National Gallery was nice. I feel like I should say something kind of smart here about art, but, frankly, I don't know that much about art. I'm not even so sure what one is supposed to do at museums. I'm not afraid to admit it, but sometimes I just pretend to read the description of the pieces, I nod my head, and then occasionally will stand back, take it all in, and mutter "ah" as if some light bulb is going off in my head and that particular work's meaning and comment about life. Usually what I'm doing is simply wondering if anyone else is doing the same. Or, if I'm somehow missing the point. Or, if perhaps, rather than going to law school, I should have taken more artsy sorts of classes to be more cultured.

But, then I remember that I tell jokes in bars for a living, and suddenly, I don't feel so bad about my lack of awareness.

So, I suppose I'll leave my description of the gallery as "nice."





After walking around the gallery for a while (pretending you know what you're doing and that you belong is tiring, apparently), we were hungry, so we headed back to Henderson's. This time, our trip included chocolate (which, was, quite simply, heavenly).

On the way to the bus station, I snapped a couple photos, which I quite liked.

No comments:

Post a Comment