Saturday, October 30, 2010

My trip to Guatemala - Day 24

October 5, 2010

After spending nearly a month in Guatemala, I flew back to the United States today. I could write about my flight home, how after all of my painstaking cramming and packing, I was told my carry-on was too big, and I would need to check it after all (and pay the $35 checked-bag fee). Or I could talk about not being allowed to take water into the gate area and being thirsty during the entire flight home.

But, those are trivial details. Instead, I'd like to write about what I learned during my trip.

When I first booked my flight, I told my friends and family (and even some drunk strangers after shows) that I was going to Guatemala alone. Most of them immediately asked me why.

"Why not?" was usually my reply.

I then told them how I wanted to practice Spanish, and how I wanted to see another country. I might have even provided more reasons, but really, the answer always boiled down to my original one of why not.

We hear the phrase "life is for living," and I suppose it means different things to different folks. To me, it means taking advantage of every opportunity there is to expand your knowledge and worldview, and to grow as a person (provided these opportunities don't oppress or harm others, of course). Henry David Thoreau once described it as "sucking out all the marrow of life."

Traveling has always been that for me; it's been my way to suck the marrow from life's bones. Travel gives me an excitement like few things do, and it always teaches me something. Even my trips to middle-of-no-where North Dakota have given me some insight (specifically, that the Wal-Mart parking lot is one happening spot, and Taco Bell is about the only place open after 11 pm).

I admit that after I booked the ticket to Guatemala City, I was a bit frightened. The thought of going, by myself, to a place where a language other than my own is spoken was somewhat scary. But, I decided a long time ago that I would never let fear dictate my actions. So I diligently began researching, planning and preparing for my adventure.

I had no expectations when I arrived in Guatemala. And I was pleasantly surprised by how much Spanish I learned in three weeks, and how welcoming nearly everyone I came across was. I was also greatly inspired by all of the incredible work my classmates and new friends were doing (and continue to do).

I've found that when I usually "click" with people, it's on one of two levels: either they're activists or they're stand-up comedians. Okay, make that three as I usually connect with fellow Blockheads (people who love the New Kids on the Block as much as I do). I think the reason for these quick connections is because we immediately have something in common.

But, in Guatemala, I clicked with people on another level: our common sense of adventure. I met people who are students of the world, who travel the globe and explore their passions while making new friends and learning new languages. I've never wanted my life to follow the "beaten path," and it was incredible to meet a whole slew of other folks who are blazing their own trails.

I did so much reflecting while I was there, and I learned a lot about myself. Most of these revelations are somewhat personal and self-indulgent, so I'll omit them from this post. But, I will say that this trip renewed my faith in my own ability to be self-reliant. It also made me realize that I can do nearly anything by myself. In my former relationship (the one I was in for six years), we did an extensive amount of traveling together. And when we broke up, I found the thought of traveling alone scary and sad. But, this trip changed that. I don't need to wait for anyone to be able to go the places I want to go, and to see the parts of the world that I'd like to view.

As I boarded my plane back home, I definitely had mixed feelings about leaving. Part of me wanted to stay in Guatemala for months and live a casual life of sunning and learning. But, seeing as I wasn't able to work for the month I was in Antigua, my wallet had other plans for me. So I vowed to stay in touch with my teacher and new friends. And I sincerely plan to do that.

I also made a promise that I would go on another similar adventure very soon. And I sincerely plan to do that as well.

I'll close with a picture of one of the most famous sites in Antigua. Until next time...



To view more pictures of my trip, go check out my album on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment