Saturday, November 19, 2016

Hana Highway

Before I left, whenever I mentioned I'd be traveling to Maui, the first thing out of my conversation partner's mouth was usually "you have to take the road to Hana!" And this was no subtle recommendation; they were adamant! At first I had no idea what Hana even was, and I certainly didn't know much about a road that may or may not go there. But, I grabbed my trusty travel book and quickly discovered a few things:
1. Hana is a city.
2. The road there, while only around 60 miles, takes nearly four hours since it is so narrow and curvy.
3. It is supposed to be one of the most scenic drives in the entire country.

So, I figured after a relaxing day on the beach, I was up for an adventure! I started out bright and early and first stopped at the Hookipa Lookout, which was gorgeous. I was informed that this was a prime surfing area and advised to come back to watch surfers ride waves. Noted.



After leaving Paia, the last major town before Hana, the road started twisting and getting more narrow. I had no idea then just how narrow it would get, but for portions, it was down to one lane.

I was blown away by the scenery along the road. There were so many waterfalls, and sights like this:


Taken at a rest area along the road.
It reminded me a lot of Iceland because of the gorgeous landscapes right along the road. Oh, and the lack of cell service was quite familiar, too.

I started off listening to music and singing along as I meandered through what looked to be a tropical rain forest. But, then I realized I had to concentrate as to avoid an accident. One lane bridges are no joke!

Here is some of what I saw. Amazing!



I stopped several times along the road, and it was quite rainy at some points.
Thankful for my trusty purple hood and umbrella.
The rain bounced off of the trees and made them look even more green and beautiful. And since I set out so early, sometimes I felt like I was in my own little forest hideaway since there weren't other people in sight.



Some more views:

Maybe the Honda Civic that I junked three years ago is now advertising plate lunch somewhere.


And a little video:


After being in my car for about three hours, I started seeing signs of human habitation again, mostly in the form of little fruit stands that starting popping up along the side of the road.

Since Hana is the only city on that side of the island, I was expecting a rather large one. I was not expecting a village of fewer than 2,000, but that is indeed what Hana is. It was quaint and scenic, and I even stopped by the shoreline, but it didn't seem like there was a ton to do there.

So, instead, I got back into my car and started the trek home.

Ha! Home. Like I live there.

Although, I certainly wouldn't mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment