Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Last days in Maui

I spent my last days in Maui eating entirely too much food. During the first part of my trip, I tried to save money (since food in Hawaii is so expensive) by buying food at the grocery store and using my hotel room's microwave and refrigerator. I even got a Foodland savings card, and felt like a local when I went in there (I'm sure everything else about me gave away that I was not). Plus, I'm also that person who totally brings an entire dish set in their checked luggage.

But, I looked up some rather inexpensive, vegan-friendly places, and I decided to try them. One of my first finds was brownies at Joy's Place.

So delicious! And even better once I removed the plastic wrap.
My other find was a place called Fork & Salad. It was a build-your-own-salad place, and they had so many fresh and tasty ingredients from which to choose. I may or may not have gone back the next day, too.



Chickens everywhere in Maui! This guy was outside of Fork & Salad.
I also spent quite a bit of time on the beach. How can you not enjoy looking up at this?


I also creepily took videos of strangers.

How fun does that look?!

One of my the coolest parts of my trip was when I got to do stand-up! Since one of my goals is to perform in all 50 states, I looked online and found an open mic. Before heading that way, I met up with my new plane friend, John (the gentleman, also traveling by himself, who sat next to me on the plane), and we grabbed some dinner.

John decided to accompany me to the open mic, and we headed over to Nalu's. I'm pretty sure we were the only folks there who didn't know each other. Luckily, all of the Maui comics were really nice and welcoming. Chuck, the MC/organizer of the open mic, was so kind and invited me to come back any time I'd like. Sadly, I told him I had to leave the next day.

Blurrily telling jokes.
I had a lot of fun during my set, and I'm pretty sure it's the first time I've ever showed both arms and ankles on stage.

The show also presented one of the most unique moments in comedy I've ever experienced. Everything is open in most venues in Maui, so doors are not generally required to enter an establishment. So, while one of the comics was performing, out of nowhere, another guy entered from the parking lot, rushed the stage, and chucked a salad at the comic!

And, then, like nothing happened, he immediately left.

Instead of a drive-by shooting, it was like a walk-by salading. So strange!

Nobody at the mic seemed to know who the guy who, nor why he did such a thing.

I immediately had flashbacks to Fozzie Bear getting tomatoes thrown at him. I thought that was a myth! But, now I realize that produce does indeed get thrown at comics.

The comic who was performing handled the moment beautifully, and used it as an opportunity to bust out easily 3 minutes worth of vegetable jokes! Wow, who knew that someone other than Gaffigan even has that?! I was quite impressed.

I am happy to report, there was no more salad-throwing for the rest of the night.

Before heading to the airport on my last day, I decided to head back to Hookipa Lookout to watch surfers. You can't tell from the looks of this picture, but there were so many (I'm sure they just look like little specks here)!



I was blown away by how easy they made it look. If I weren't such a 'fraidy cat when it comes to physical danger, one day, I might even try to find it.

As I was leaving the Lookout, I spotted a rainbow.



A beautiful end to a beautiful and relaxing trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment