Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Hawaii!

I'm so excited that I can now cross Hawaii off my bucket list! My list of 'states I've not yet been to' is now down to three: Louisiana, Mississippi, and New Hampshire (and I'm hoping to change that soon).

My day started at 4 am Eastern Time, when my alarm off. I was ready and out the door by 5 am, and at the airport by 5:45.

I left from Detroit Metro Airport, and I couldn't get over how stress-free the first leg of my journey was. There was no line at security, I was able to check two bags for free, and the middle seat next to me was open. Perfect!

I decided against planning out my trip beforehand. Instead, I simply made a hotel reservation and rented a car. I figured I would decide what to do on the plane and once I arrived.



I had a quick layover in Phoenix, and then I was on my way to Maui. As soon as I boarded, I felt a sense of excitement, which was also mixed with a feeling of tranquility (this is probably because the plane's video monitors were all playing footage of waterfalls).

I sat next to a gentleman who was also traveling by himself, and we swapped stories and pictures of our prior trips. It definitely made the 5 1/2 hour flight go by much quicker!

Approaching the airport.
And I'm here!

I gathered my begs (which both showed up, thankfully), made my way to Wailea (where I would be staying), and checked into my hotel, which was right on the beach. This was the view when I stepped out of my door:


I'm in love.

I'm going to let electronic Kate explain more:

On my first day, I was so exhausted from all of the travel (with the time change, I had been up for nearly 24 hours) that I pretty much just got food and went to bed. Am I exciting or what?

When I went to the grocery store, I quickly discovered that while Maui is truly an amazing paradise, the necessities are so overpriced! $7 for hummus? Are you kidding me? I mean, I guess hummus isn't exactly considered a necessity...but it should be.

I know, I know, it's an island and everything has to be imported, but still, I don't think I was quick ready for the high prices. Thankfully, Foodland (the grocery store near my hotel) sells Ramen.

No comments:

Post a Comment