Sunday, November 20, 2016

Swap meets and hot weather ice sculpting

On my fifth day in Hawaii, I decided to check out the Maui Swap Meet. I had read about it in my tourist books, and it promised 200 vendors for the admission price of 50 cents.

"Who doesn't love cheap fun?" I thought to myself as I paid my admission and headed in. I was struck by the vast number of things being sold: woven bracelets in one booth, fresh fruits and veggies in the next, clothing, glass, art, all kinds of things.

I looked around for a while before scoring some really cheap avocados and oranges.

And then I stumbled upon a taco place that sold vegan tacos. It called itself Taco Maui 8 Wonder, and I figured it had to be good. I haven't yet seen the pyramids, but if I can eat a taco and knock off one of the wonders of the world, I figured I must.

The tacos certainly did not disappoint! So delicious! I even met the owner, and we chatted about tacos, and travel, and Hawaii for a while.

I then headed over to watch an ice sculpting competition. Yes, you read that correctly: ice sculpting in 86 degree weather (AKA the 'work your butt off on something that lasts five minutes" contest). Despite the ice melting rather quickly, I was amazed by what one can do with a chain saw and some ice. Their creations were beautiful, and the level of detail was nothing short of massively impressive.





After watching the ice sculptors, I went to a hula show because I figured I couldn't leave Hawaii without watching one of those. The show featured dancers of all genders and ages. There were kids who looked to be about four years old, and there were older dancers who could have easily been 60. I believe the shows are put on by a community organization that is dedicated to teaching traditional Hawaiian dance and culture. They were fantastic to watch!



I then headed home (man, I'm getting used to saying that) where I may or may not have eaten all of the avocados I purchased.

No comments:

Post a Comment