Monday, November 21, 2016

Running on Maui



On Sunday, I decided to get up bright and early to run the Sun, Surf & Hoops 5K. I figured that I might as well take advantage of my body still not being adjusted to the time difference (Hello, body waking me up at 3 AM!) and do something productive.

Since deciding to go back to law school, my running went all to crap. During my first semester of school, I ran a half marathon. By the time I graduated, I would be lucky if I could pant my way through a mile. So, after I graduated, I was determined to get back into running. I did the Super Hero 5K and followed it up with a 10K in Iceland. I also tried to chip my way through the Couch-to-5K program.

So, when it was still dark out, I piled in my car and drove to the race starting point. The race took place in Lahaina, which is about a forty-five minute drive from my hotel. I made it in plenty of time, and I may have even been the first person there. I picked up my free t-shirt and looked for a close place to park. I always find it amusing how I'm willing to run 3.1 miles, but I am not willing to park anywhere that requires even the slightest amount of walking.

I started to get nervous that I hadn't prepared enough. First, the race was small, meaning, it became harder and harder to give myself  the 'there are thousands of people here, so you can't be last!' pep talk. And, I immediately had flashbacks to the time I finished second to last in Wisconsin. Second, I was nervous because people are fit in Hawaii! As more runners showed up, I quickly realized this wasn't like any Michigan race I had been in (where I've literally scene people, pushing strollers - and not even jogging strollers - while talking on the phone and sipping Starbucks). These people were serious!

I tried to calm myself down, and repeatedly told myself I can only do my best.

Thumbs up for trying not to be last!
Group shot.
During the race, I found a woman whose pace I quite enjoyed. Well, quite enjoyed might not be the right term, as I don't quite enjoy huffing and puffing and wanting to cough up phlegm while gasping for air. But, I could keep up with her without feeling like complete death. So, I trailed her nearly the entire race (P.S. my apologies to her as I'm sure listening to me breathe was something she could have done without).

Not too shabby view along the course.

Despite the humidity making my lungs feel like they were going to burst, I was impressed by how quickly the race seemed to go. Sometimes I feel like the finish line seems worlds away. But, with this race, I listened to my music, focused on the vibration of my feet hitting the pavement, and just enjoyed the amazing scenery.



My time wasn't anything to write home about (far from it, actually), but I was proud of myself for finishing. After the race, I hit the beach for the rest of the day.

Full of beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment