Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas Music

With trips to the west coast, east coast and south (all in the past week), I've spent A LOT of time in my car this December. Okay, granted, my trip to the west coast was in an airplane, but still, I've logged a lot of miles (which roughly translates to: I've had a lot of time to listen to the radio).

Pretty much the only music available on the radio right now is Katy Perry and Christmas songs. Because I find listening to all 99 verses of "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" more enjoyable than listening to one verse of any Katy Perry song, I found myself listening to a lot of holiday tunes.

And I thought to myself, "Self, why not compile a list of all of your favorites?" Perfect idea! So, without further adieu, here they are:

1. Any track from the New Kids on the Block "Merry Merry Christmas" album for obvious reasons.
2. "Last Christmas" by Wham! It's catchy and fun, and I dare you not to sing along when it comes on the radio.
3. "O Holy Night" by any artist. I love this song so much that I don't care who sings it...well, except for Katy Perry.
4. "Happy Christmas" by John Lennon (Melissa Etheridge and Sarah McLachlan do nice versions as well). "War is over, if you want it." A pretty simple concept, but so very true.
5. "Carol of the Bells" by any artist (although I have a soft-spot for piano renditions). Despite these lyrics being nearly impossible to understand/remember (20 bucks to anyone who can sing them all without looking them up), I still enjoy the challenge of being able to sing along.
6. "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings" by Barenaked Ladies and Sarah McLachlan. No Christmas song ever made me want to harmonize and pick up an acoustic guitar as much as this one!
7. "All Alone on Christmas" by Darlene Love. I don't care where this song comes on, I belt it out like it's my job. Yes, I've been kicked out of some Targets before.
8. "Please Come Home for Christmas" by Jon Bon Jovi. I'm not such a huge fan of the song, but the video is all sorts of hot, so it makes the list for that reason alone.
9. "Christmas in Hollis" by Run D.M.C. Not only does this song take me back to my youth and make me want to dance, but its lyrics also contain a message ("never steal from Santa, 'cause that ain't right").
10. "The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late)" by Alvin & the Chipmunks. Another 20 bucks to anyone who can listen to this without raising their voice an octave and singing along. This song also has a bonus: it's super annoying when played loudly (and on repeat), so it makes a great 'gift' for anyone on your naughty list.

No comments:

Post a Comment