Monday, March 21, 2011

Prom dresses, auditions and art gallery comedy shows

Today, I went to the mall with my friend, Molly, and we did what any self-respecting women in their twenties and thirties do: we spent two hours trying on prom dresses.

Perhaps this seemed appealing because I wore what might quite possibly be the most hideous prom dress in the history of all prom-wear, and I wanted to redeem myself. Or perhaps we had a case of stress and sleep-deprivation induced giggles, and covering ourselves with feet of satin seemed like the best thing to do at the time.

After trying on a few frocks (especially the one that made me look like a Disney villain princess), I was left with a desire to go to the prom again. Or to the Oscars. I think the Oscars would be the more appropriate choice as if I even attempted to attend the prom at this point in my life, I would be stepping into some serious Mary Kay Letourneau territory.









After reluctantly putting the prom dresses back on the racks and bidding them adieu, I went to an audition for a car commercial. I think it went decently. It definitely wasn't great, but I don't think it was terrible either. The audition went by so quickly; we went in groups of two, introduced ourselves and had to say what an exciting Friday night for us entails, and then we did a short improvisation where we played a couple driving to a Friday night date.

I kind of fibbed about what an exciting Friday night entails for me. I told the casting director that I do stand-up comedy, and that I enjoy either performing or seeing stand-up shows on Fridays. That part is true.

The part I omitted is that an exciting Friday night for me usually means me blasting New Kids on the Block or rap music (think Lil Wayne) and choreographing dance routines and then performing them for myself in the mirror. Now, in retrospect, since everyone else was saying their ideal Friday nights consisted of dinner and drinks, this definitely would have made me stand out. However, revealing this detail would have officially made me the lamest person at the audition.

After the audition, I headed down to Toledo to take part in the Truth Comedy Jam, which was a benefit show for the Independent Advocates (an organization that provides court advocacy to survivors of domestic violence). The show was a lot of fun, and I got to meet two very funny (and really nice) fellow female comics (Elissa Marcus and Lucé Tomlin-Brenner). It also marked my first time performing at an art gallery, which was great because I didn't have to worry about people heckling, passing out in their seats or rushing the stage. Yay to upscale one-nighters!


That's me, Elissa, Lucé, Rachel and Rebecca (the two founders of Independent Advocates).

The only thing that would have made the show cooler was if I got to perform in my prom dress.

1 comment:

  1. 1. Just find some 17 year old and take him to prom. He'd dump his acne laden girlfiend for a thirty...or maybe twenty something...year old woman.

    2. Good job finding a safe place in Toledo. Leaving with a group would be encouraged.

    ReplyDelete