Monday, November 4, 2013

My first marathon

Completing a marathon has been on my bucket list from the time I figured out what a bucket list was and made one for myself (notice I said "completing" and not "running"). I always figured it'd be something I'd do during retirement when crocheting got boring. It was especially easy to put off considering I had never even run a mile when I added it to my list.

But, after completing my first half marathon, I decided that life is short, and why not start checking some of those "to do" items off now? So I bit the bullet and signed up for the 2014 Cleveland Marathon.

That means I have 195 days to get in shape, train my body to run 26.2 miles, and not want to puke while doing it (well, I'll settle for two out of three).

I found a training plan online that has me running three times per week, slowly increasing my long run mileage each week.  

And I'm happy to say, I did my first run yesterday. Since law school has me quite busy and sleep-deprived, I really haven't run much since the Lansing Half Marathon. Holy wow, did I get out of shape quickly! I was pretty winded after one mile. But I pushed through, trying to envision that finish line (and me not needing a stretcher when crossing it).

I'm a bit nervous for all of this running, but I'm also super excited! That's one thing I love about running: it forces you to push through the hard and through the pain and through the things you never thought you could do. I don't so much like the sweat, but I do like the metaphor for life that it can be.I look forward to posting updates about my progress! 

No comments:

Post a Comment