Thursday, April 25, 2013

Moving

So...I'm moving.  Again.  Despite me telling myself that I won't pack up everything I own and attempt to squeeze it into my Honda Civic every couple of years, I'm doing just that (although this time I had the assistance of a U-Haul truck).  I'll be taking the summer to do a ton of shows (with trips to Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Alaska, Norway and Denmark thrown in for good measure) and be a nomad before I start law school in August.  As I've mentioned before, I'll be attending Michigan State University, so at the end of the summer, I'll make the move up to East Lansing.


Moving when it's thirty-something degrees and you have to dress like you're in Siberia = no fun.

I also realized this: nobody in the history of ever has been happy at the U-Haul store.  Seriously, everyone in there looks like they just had to remove their grandmother from life support. 

And they try to charge you for EVERYTHING.  When I returned the truck, the manager looked legitimately disappointed that I hadn't gone over my mileage or returned it with one-seventeenth less air pressure.

Oh, and a  little tip from me to you: spend the extra fourteen bucks and spring for the insurance coverage. If you're anything like me, everything will go smoothly throughout the day until you're gassing it up 300 yards from the return location and a giant cement pole jumps out at you.  

Another little tippperoo:


 Best way to move alcohol? Drink it all so you don't have to pack it! Note: this may be exactly why the giant pole jumped out at me.

I also learned a lot about myself during this move:

-Apparently, having twenty-three plants and five bottles of conditioner is a necessity, but a dresser isn't one (I got rid of mine just because I was too lazy to pick it up and haul it down several flights of stairs). 

-I have no idea what people mean when they say "lift with your legs."  Everything hurts, my back and legs included.

-I just might be a hoarder, especially when it comes to gum wrappers.

-I don't want to do this again for three years.

-But, I most certainly will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment