Sunday, June 2, 2013

Ketchikan, Alaska

Our last stop in Alaska was Ketchikan, the southeastern most city in Alaska with a population of 8,050 (thank you, wikipedia!).

When we first exited the ship, it was raining, and we were bummed.  But, it stopped shortly after, leaving us free to wander around the town and look at totem poles in Saxman (a neighboring town).

Some shots from town:




The totem poles (which were so detailed and beautiful) in Saxman:












Each told a unique story, and we purchased a guide book to help us decode symbols.  Toward the end of our excursion, my stomach made the symbol for "we're on vacation; let's eat more" by growling.  So we got back on the ship, changed into our fancy clothes and ate dinner in the dining room.


Saying goodbye to Alaska (and to our cruise vacation in general) was tough. It's absolutely breath-taking there, and I'd really like to go back sometime (although next time, I would focus on certain locations and stay longer at those).  Plus, spending a week eating ungodly amounts of food bonding with my mom was really great.  We had so much fun, and I'm happy to draw another tally mark on my "states I've been to" list.

No comments:

Post a Comment