Thursday, June 20, 2013

Wyoming and biblical dinosaurs

Last week marked my first time performing in Wyoming. That makes 28 states in which I've done comedy.

I worked with my buddy Steve Sabo, and we started off the week in Williston, North Dakota.


Williston, North Dakota is an odd place. The show was fun, but the entire city seems sketchy to me. The population went from 12,000 to 50,000 virtually overnight because of the oil boom. So there are a lot of drifter-types, and I'm pretty sure most of then lived in the hotel where I was staying. Going to the continental breakfast marked the first time I'd been ogled by that many creepy men in pajama pants (and also the first time I was willing to put up with that many stares for some free granola). 


Not only do they still make this, but apparently it's so popular in North Dakota that it sells out at the store. Wonder if Mr. Pibb is a hot commodity as well.

Next up was Beulah, Montana. The staff at the venue were so sweet; they even made me a special not-on-the-menu vegan dish, which was delicious.


Steve after the show (oh, c'mon, your set wasn't that bad).

On Friday, we drove to Glendive, Montana (where I was stayed in 1987).
 
My hotel was a block away from this place. I've underlined my favorite parts. 

I was told at the gig that the museum features an exhibit with a brontosaurus on Noah's Ark.

When I spoke to the hotel's front desk clerk about the museum, she said "I heard it's worth the money." I countered with, "yes, but I've heard there are some inaccuracies."

She then asked me what that word meant.

I replied, "well, I heard they actually think people and dinosaurs were around at the same time."

She then just stared at me and everything about her face screamed  "well, yes, of course they were, you idiot."

I had a good time at the show, but it was the first time I've ever been heckled by a "God Bless You." Lots of firsts on this trip.

After Glendive, we drove through Yellowstone National Park to get to Jackson, Wyoming. I completely fell in love with Yellowstone and really want to return. These pictures don't even do it justice.







Jackson is an adorable little town, and get this: the hotel had Tom's of Maine toothpaste and cruelty-free soaps and shampoos. The housekeeper was a little upset when I asked for 27 extras, but she did slip me a few free lotions.

The show was fairly sparsely populated (never a good sign when there are more stuffed dead animal heads at a venue than audience members), but we still had fun.



There's a new sheriff in town. And by sheriff I mean person who awkwardly poses for pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment