Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Back in Glasgow

By Sunday night, I was pretty excited to get back to Glasgow. I loved Edinburgh, but it was a little too busy and touristy. While Glasgow is larger in population, I found it to be a more quiet city since there appeared to be fewer tourists. Plus, people were so friendly! And quick-witted, too. I've never been to a city where people are so eager to strike up a conversation and crack jokes with you. Even when we just asked for directions, people seemed to want to know where we were from; and in one case, after saying Detroit was the closest big city to us, wanted to know what our thoughts on the show Hard Core Pawn were.

We decided to treat ourselves by staying at the fanciest place to date, the Hotel Mercure. It was a block away from the City Chambers, and it was really nice. And I think my favor part about it was it had storm windows that doubled as a refrigerator since we put our beverages in between the two panes of glass to keep them cool.

On Monday, my mom joined our cousins to visit the Scottish country side, and I stayed back in the city. I decided to head to the Glasgow Gallery of Modern Art, where I took these shots:



Modern art is my favorite type of art (especially performance art), so, unlike in Edinburgh, I actually took time to truly read about each exhibit, and my utterances were genuine. There was one piece about the Lockerbie bombing trial that was particularly powerful.

After the museum, I spent a fair amount of time living it up in our swanky hotel room (read: watching free cable), and at night, we headed to grab some dinner at Sapporo. I know this soup might not look the best, but hot broth and udon noodles in the cold and dreary weather really hit the spot!

No comments:

Post a Comment