Friday, May 31, 2013

Skagway and the Yukon

Skagway, Alaska and the Yukon territory were our next stops after Juneau.  We had some time on the ship between ports so I attempted to rock climb.

 Feeling somewhat confident at the beginning.


Um...this is definitely harder than it looks.  I promise I did get a little higher (and by a little, I mean two inches).


Defeated (especially since after I descended, a 10-year-old boy climbed straight to the top in under five minutes).

I quickly got over my defeat and put on my excited face for the Yukon!  On our way to the Yukon, we saw so many gorgeous sites.  Truly breath-taking!  





We have arrived!


Once we made it to the Yukon, we headed for a suspension bridge.  But, first, we had some awesome vegan chilli.  After all, walking across a flimsy bridge that spells certain death if it were to snap calls for some serious face-stuffing. 

Note to self: eating spicy chilli + a fear of heights isn't the best combination.

Although getting myself to walk onto the bridge was scary, the views were incredible!










We did it!





After the bridge, we took a scenic railroad from high up in the mountains to downtown Skagway.  Again, my little point and shoot camera didn't do justice to what we saw, but here are a few shots from the railway.

Oh wait, did I forget to mention I had to battle a bear in order to board the railroad?  Wow, is Alaska ever rustic!










I have now been to eight provinces and one Canadian territory. If only that entitled me to being an honorary Canadian and finally getting some healthcare...

No comments:

Post a Comment