Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Milford Sound

We woke up bright and early and set out for Milford Sound, where we planned to take a cruise (which is the only way one can view the sound). According to wikipedia, "Milford Sound is a fjord in the south west of New Zealand's South Island within Fiordland National Park, Piopiotahi Marine Reserve, and the Te Wahipounamu World Heritage site. It has been judged the world's top travel destination in an international survey and is acclaimed as New Zealand's most famous tourist destination. Rudyard Kipling had previously called it the eighth Wonder of the World."

On our way there, we saw some beautiful scenery and listened to New Zealand's version of NPR. I am happy to report I learned a new term on the radio: jiggery pokery. While I've since been informed that former Supreme Court justice Antonin Scalia used this term in one of his opinions, I had never heard someone say it in speech form before. Plus, it just sounds so much better said with a Kiwi accent. Keith and I had some fun working into our conversations throughout the day.

A view along the way:


We stopped for gas on our journey to Milford Sound, and in addition to picking up more fizzy candy (man, those things are addictive!), we informed the gas station employee where we were headed. He asked if we had tickets to the ferry yet. We told him we didn't, and he said, "well, you better get some now because the last boat leaves at 1 pm." Luckily, he was able to phone the dock and we secured tickets to go.

Since we were apparently cutting it pretty close, as a last instruction, he firmly told us, "no stopping! Not even for toilet breaks."

So we picked up the pace while eating our fizzies and barely made it on time. Thank goodness those ferries had bathrooms!

Before getting to the sound, we had to go on a one-lane tunnel through the mountains, which were gorgeous.



While we waited our turn through the tunnel, I noticed this little guy, who came up to my car to beg for food. He definitely had the cute-feel-sorry-for-me-and-give-me-something-to-eat look down pat. So, I gave him a chip, which he seemed to enjoy.


Upon walking to the dock, I was immediately struck by how gorgeous the foliage was. I had never seen anything like it in that we were in the middle of winter, yet all of the plants looked tropical. There were even palm trees there.

Walk to the dock.
The ferry we took was really nice! It was huge, and when we stepped aboard, we were immediately flooded by smells of all of the food being served. I felt like I was on a cruise.

Harbor view. Our boat was the one on the left.
Milford Sound was absolutely gorgeous! While it was cold and damp, feeling the wind through my hair was so refreshing and peaceful. We even saw some seals sunning themselves on rocks (sadly, none of my pictures captured them). Some views from the cruise:



After the board ride, we ate our weight in fizzy candies headed back to Queenstown.

We ate at the world famous Fergburger, which is, apparently, the most instagrammed burger shop ever. Oh, and did I mention Ed Sheeran has eaten there? If it's good enough for Ed, then I guess it's good enough for me.

I couldn't get over how long the line was! They even had "fluffers" (their term, not mine) to talk to people waiting outside. When I spoke to one of them, she informed me that the line we saw was "nothing" and that usually (during peak season) it's hours long.

I ordered the 'Holier Than Though' vegan burger, which I awarded points to for size, taste, and name. I'm not quite sure it would be worth waiting hours for, but it was good. I was more excited about the chocolate gelato I got from the place next door (also owned by the Fergs).

Of course I had to contribute to Fergburger's instagram numbers though.

When we checked into our hostel, we were shown to a room that only had one bed for the two of us. I politely informed the person who worked there (Gary, an American from Connecticut) that we had requested a room with two beds.

"Ah, that room is broken," was the reply I got.

Okay.

So, he showed me how the bunk beds in the room that was supposed to be ours had completely collapsed.

Luckily, the staff was very accommodating. Gary and another guy from Scotland immediately got to working on the situation. By the time they fixed everything, Keith and I both had not only our own beds, but our own rooms! I got to stay in this little cabin-y looking place, which was super cute. Oh, and because of the mix-up, they gave us both rooms for free!


Unfortunately, I didn't sleep well though as my neighbors kept opening their door throughout the night, and every time they did, I swore someone was trying to break into my room. I also kept hearing car doors slam as people were parked right outside of my room. I was informed that they paid $15 to sleep in their vehicles, but they were given access to the showers and kitchen.

The vehicles parked outside my room.
In the morning, when I regained my senses and reminded myself there is very little crime in New Zealand, I quickly realized how silly I was being and wished that I had slept better.

Oh well...as my old debate partner at NYU used to say, "you can sleep when you're dead."

No comments:

Post a Comment