Thursday, May 18, 2017

Third day in Sydney

Today, we decided to take the ferries around town. But, first, we went to the Sydney Tower Eye. It's one of the tallest buildings in the world, and it looks a lot like the Stratosphere in Las Vegas.

On the way to the Tower, I also had my first encounter with a kangaroo!



I was kind of bummed because I thought we would be able to get outside (much like the Empire State Building) once we were on the observational floor. But, alas, we had to settle for seeing Sydney from behind glass. It still featured some absolutely gorgeous views though!




Oh, and here's us in our neat-o 3D glasses that we got to wear while watching a quick film all about Sydney at the Tower.



After the Tower, we decided to head to Manly Wharf. We had heard it was gorgeous and not to be missed. So we walked up to Circular Quay, caught the ferry, and enjoyed the incredible views on the trip there.

Some pictures from the boat:






Once there, we set out on the little strip/boardwalk (but, first, we had to get vegan gelato, but of course). Manly reminded me a lot of a vacation destination in Florida. There were many palm trees and tourist shops selling Bahama Jack-esque clothes. We stopped at the beach for a while and watched daring seagulls try to snatch food out of the hands of people eating picnics. Some of the seagulls got lucky, and I was amazed at how gutsy they were!

One of said gutsy seagulls.
Where an unfortunate sandwich-snatching incident happened.

Pretty church along the boardwalk.
In Manly, we even spotted an Aldi, which to my delight had vegan rice crispy treats! And, of course, since if was Aldi, it was super cheap. We also set out on our quest to find Vegemite.

We finally spotted it and decided to give it a try. Here was our go:

Some ladies next to us immediately started laughing at us and asked if we had just eaten it plain.

"Yes," was our reply.

Acting as if we had just committed a cardinal sin, the lady loudly declared, "no, no, no!" And promptly informed us we had to put it on something. She said that even though she's Australian, even she can't stomach it without putting it on toast. She suggested we put it on toast with avocados on top. Side note: I later tried it back in our room with Ritz crackers, and it was actually decent. It's definitely an acquired taste though. I'm excited to bring home the tiny tub we purchased, but I'm not sure if I'll be buying any bigger tubs this trip.

We then took the ferry back to Circular Quay, where we boarded another one to Darling Harbor. Since we had enjoyed it so much the night before, we thought, why not head back during the day? It was definitely nice to be able to see it during daylight.

After Darling Harbor, I went back to our room to take a nap while Keith sought out Chinese food. Well, my nap turned into sleeping the entire night. I didn't even eat dinner (well, unless you count polishing off the rest of the rice crispy treats). My body clock is still pretty messed up, but at least I am enjoying getting early starts to my days.

Tomorrow, we head to New Zealand!

No comments:

Post a Comment