Saturday, October 30, 2010

My trip to Guatemala - Day 13

September 24, 2010

Class today was enjoyable as usual. I was excited to start conjugating verbs for the past tense. This might not be thrilling to others, but it is most helpful to be able to say "I went to the bathroom" vs. "I am currently going to the bathroom." And I was pleased when Miranda told she was impressed by how much Spanish I learned in two weeks. Honestly, I am surprised by how much I've learned as well, and I didn't expect to be so fearless in speaking it to strangers (especially when I'm alone in a bank or store).

Unfortunately, I learned that the school's trip to Panajachel and Chichicastenango was canceled due to the tropical storm that's supposed to come this weekend. I contemplated traveling there on my own, but decided against it when one of the women in the La Union office said there was a good chance that the roads back to Antigua might get rained out. So I just stuck around town instead.

In the evening, Miranda and I met Annie and Linda at Rainbow Cafe. We watched Sergio perform again before heading to Rum Bar. Upon walking in, I decided it was my favorite place in Antigua (I know, I know, this has happened before, but this time, I mean it). It's kind of like Cafe No Se with its tranquil atmosphere and lighting by candles, but it's smaller and features a loft with only pillows to sit on. We ran into Luis (from Juan's band) and Aki (from La Union) and met Mike (a super nice guy who just returned to Guatemala after living in the US for a long time). We plopped on the loft's pillows, giggled and tried to fight off sleep (or at least I did). I can't tell if it's the complete lack of iron in my diet here or my mind's ability to finally relax and let go, but I have been so sleepy since the beginning of my trip. Perhaps my body is just making up for all of the rest I failed to get during the past year.


Mike and Aki in the loft at Rum Bar.


More Rum Bar.


And even more Rum Bar.

To view more pictures of my trip, go check out my album on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment