Saturday, October 30, 2010

My trip to Guatemala - Day 8

September 19, 2010

This morning, I woke up fairly early and headed to Central Park to study and write. In between conjugating verbs and detailing my travels, I people-watched. I saw several Mayan women attempting to sell jewelry, Americans lugging giant backpacks and reading maps, and a local teenager walking the cutest little puppies I’ve ever seen.

After an hour or so in the park, I returned home and took solace on the roof. I closed my eyes, took several deep breaths and got completely lost in my music. It was really peaceful, but I got a terrible sunburn. It’s pretty wicked, and I look rather tomato-like.

When Miranda got home from her hike, we went to the Rainbow CafĂ© to go see her friend, Juan’s band play. Linda and Annie (Linda’s roommate and a fellow American who works in La Union’s office) met us there. The band, La Raiz, was really good. Mellow. I enjoyed their music, but it also left me with an unexpected sense of melancholy. Perhaps I’m a bit homesick for my friends and family back in the States, or maybe my brain is tired from all the deep-thinking I’ve been doing about my life lately. Or maybe when I hear sad songs, it makes me sad, too. After all, I’m the person who can’t listen to Delilah without having at least one crying session.

After Juan’s band finished their set (and I ingested the most delightful hummus/avocado sandwich), we chatted them up, and Miranda invited them over to our place. Before we headed over our way, we walked a few houses down so Linda could pick up her wallet. On our way back, a man, standing in his doorway, hissed at us. I thought he was attempting to ’shh’ us and silence our giggles. Boy, did I think wrong! Turns out, he was trying to get our attention as he was standing there, BUCK NAKED! Dios mio! I didn’t want to stare as God forbid he might think I was interested in what he had to offer, so I tried to avert my eyes as best I could. Not sure what he was hoping to accomplish other than more laughter and a bit of sexual harassment, but mission accomplished on both fronts.

After getting over our shock, Miranda, Linda and I piled into the back of Juan’s pick-up truck along with Cholo and Luis (the other band members). It was definitely my first time riding in the back of a truck, and feeling the wind in my hair as we plowed through the streets of Antigua was extremely liberating (although not for my backside as I felt every bump!). We all headed to the guesthouse, with beer in hand, and climbed up on the roof as soon as we arrived. The guys busted out their guitars and we had a short-lived sing-along before we were told we were being too loud and had to leave.

So we piled back into the truck and headed to Juan’s place. His apartment was so cool - like a loft you’d see somewhere in a US city. It was filled with artwork and a massive music collection. He also had two hammocks in the living room, and a fancy toilet in the bathroom that actually (gasp!) flushed toilet paper, unlike the other toilets in Guatemala.

A quick note: not sure if I’ve mentioned it before or not, but the toilets in Guatemala cannot handle toilet paper. So basically, when you wipe, you can’t flush it. Instead, you have to throw the paper into a trash can next to the toilet. It might not sound like a big deal (and after a while, it isn’t), but at first, it's a bit difficult to get used to. And it’s amazing how at home you feel when you can actually flush the paper in the toilet.

It wasn’t long before Juan busted out some “firewater” and we all began doing shots. Facebook-style photography then ensued. We shared many laughs, and I even told Juan about the greatness that is Melissa Ferrick. Conversation between the six of us was a combination of Spanish, English and drunk-speak, and it flowed quite easily. I was struck by how easy it is to connect with complete strangers - especially when liquor is involved.

We drank and lounged at Juan's place until our sleepy eyes began to betray us. So we grabbed some late night street food and headed home. I drunkenly rambled to Linda for a few minutes before laying my head on the pillow and becoming one with my bed.

The aforementioned facebook-style photos:


Smiley in the back of a truck.


Linda showcasing Guatemala's most popular beer.


Post-Gallo.






Hammock fun.


The key to making alcohol taste better: plugging your nose.






Have some Gallo.

To view more pictures of my trip, go check out my album on facebook.

2 comments:

  1. Cholo!!!! hahaha Kate, it's Choko. But I guess we can all put our "elbows up, side to side!" AND did we really see a naked guy??? I must have been too drunk to remember....yikes! I love you and miss you! These are fabulous fotos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! Sorry 'bout the typo! And yes, we really did see a naked guy. It's probably better that you don't remember. I love and miss you, too! Are you back in the States yet? Let's catch up!

    ReplyDelete